Tips to Keep Your Breath Smelling Good
Nobody likes to find out they’ve been walking around with bad breath. It’s offensive to others and can lead you to become self-conscious. Thankfully, good breath is attained by simple dental hygiene habits that are incorporated into your daily life. Here are some tips to keep your breath smelling good all day.
What is Bad Breath?
Bad breath is also referred to as halitosis. There are several causes for bad breath, but the most common triggers are:
• The foods we eat
• Poor oral hygiene
• Gum disease
• Tobacco use
• Dry mouth
• Medical issues
• Reaction to medications
Most of the time, a few simple changes can dramatically improve our bad breath concerns.
Tips to Rid Yourself of Bad Breath
Take the time to follow the guidelines set out for a healthy mouth. This is your first line of defense against bad breath.
• Brush your teeth twice daily with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
• Floss your teeth at least once a day.
• See your dentist twice a year for an in-depth exam and professional cleaning.
• Avoid the use of tobacco products.
• Eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water.
If you find that the regular steps to proper oral health are not keeping your bad breath at bay, you might want to try some of these options as well:
• Brush your tongue to rid the surface of unnecessary bacteria.
• Talk to your dentist or doctor about underlying medical conditions or possible side-effects from the medications you are taking.
• If you wear dentures, be sure to clean them thoroughly.
• Avoid pungent foods such as onions or garlic.
• Chew sugar-free gum or suck on sugar-free mints.
• Rinse with an ADA-approved mouthwash.
Most people find that with proper dental hygiene, they no longer suffer from bad breath. If you are struggling to keep your bad breath at bay, it would be important to speak with your dentist in Houston, TX. Rarely, halitosis can be a sign of something more dangerous and it is always wise to have it checked by a professional. Don’t be embarrassed to make an appointment! Most people struggle with bad breath at some point in their lives. There are solutions to get your confidence back again.