Houston TX Dentist Provides Relief from Dry & Cracked Lips
Any change in the weather can bring about dry and cracked lips. Most of us will experience a bout of chapped lips at some point in our lives. That’s why we’ve put together our best tips on dealing with this common annoyance.
Do You Have Chapped or Cracked Lips?
If you have lips that are cracked, peeling or chapped, then you probably already know that you have an issue. Here are some of the signs:
• Painful smile
• Sensitive lips
• Licking lips often
• Lips are cracked or peeling
• Bleeding in the corners of your mouth
• Open sores on your lips
Getting Rid of Cracked Lips
Cracked, dry and chapped lips are usually a result of the environment. Any change in the climate might lead to dryness as well as wind exposure or sun damage. Sometimes these cracked lips might be a result of skin disorders as well. It could also be a result of an allergic reaction or side effects.
Otherwise, your dry lips are often an indication of dehydration. If you smoke or chew tobacco products, you might also notice trouble with your lips. In addition, eating spicy foods or wearing poorly-fitted dental appliances might also be the cause.
Here are some tips to deal with your tender lips:
• Make sure you are hydrated. Drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol.
• Use ointments on your lips, especially before bed. Avoid anything with menthol and eucalyptus.
• Avoid licking your lips. When the saliva evaporates, it removes additional moisture. Licking them might feel good at first, but will end up drying them out more in the long run.
• Avoid using commercial skin products that are heavily flavored on your lips.
• Continue to eat a well-balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals.
• Maintain proper oral hygiene. Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush. Make sure you floss at least once a day as well.
More than anything, you want to make sure you visit the dentist twice a year for checkups. This way any issue can be caught early, providing the best chance of treatment.